Home Dealerships OHIO Dealers- Knafel Pontiac, Hopkins Chev
OHIO Dealers- Knafel Pontiac, Hopkins Chev
Written by Double Dragon
Friday, 13 January 2012 21:37

OHIO Dealers- Knafel Pontiac, Hopkins Chev

oneownercollectorcar.com

Writing and photography by D. S. Brown except for period picture of dealership copyright Knafel Pontiac, Knafel car photo copyright Quaker State, and photography of Henderson 'knife key' and other knife key photographs provided courtesy and copyright Pete Kelley. Research on The James A Henderson Co kindly provided by Pete Kelley.

 

**** A big Thank You to my readers who contributed to my book LOST MUSCLECAR DEALERSHIPS which is now available from CAR TECH BOOKS INC. *****

 

F. E. Avery Company (Pontiac) Columbus, Ohio (became Dave Gill Chevrolet 1982)

Barrett Cadillac Inc., Youngstown, OH (formerly J. D. Roller Cadillac/ became AMC)

Buckeye Pontiac, Youngstown, OH (became Valley Pontiac)

Byers Chevrolet, Columbus, OH (888) 607-0742

Byers Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram, Columbus, OH (888) 514-4497

Byers Ford, Delaware, OH (866) 955-0185

Cherol Motor Company (AMC), Youngstown, OH

Chesrown Chevrolet Buick GMC, Delaware, OH (800-274-3603)
Chesrown Oldsmobile Cadillac Inc, Columbus & Newark, OH ( Drag car sponsor= see Chesrown Chev)

Clarke Ford, Hudson, OH (330) 655-2121

Columbia Chevrolet, Cincinnati, OH (877) 681-7885 (formerly Columbia Olds)

Columbia Oldsmobile, Cincinnati, OH (drag sponsor Dickens racing/ became Columbia Chev)

Delaware Dodge, Delaware, OH 
Ewing Chevrolet, (Jeromesberg) Canton, OH (1914-2007)

Ray Faro Pontiac, Elyria, Ohio (Sponsored 1969 Judge RA V drag racer)

Dave Gill Chevrolet, Columbus, OH (formerly A.E. Avery Pontiac)

Greenwood Chevrolet Inc, Youngstown, OH (formerly Marve Minneman Chev) 866-639-5791
Hardenbrook Ford, Piqua, OH

The James A. Henderson Co. (Chevrolet), Youngstown, OH (see Henderson-Roller)

Henderson-Roller Cadillac Co, Youngstown, OH (became J. D. Roller Cadillac)
Hopkins Chevrolet- Oldsmobile, Carlisle, OH

Len Immke Buick GMC, Columbus, OH (sold 1970 Buick GS showcar)

Jackshaw Pontiac, Lakewood, OH (S/S drag sponsor)

Knafel Pontiac, Akron, OH ('Tin Indian' drag racer sponsor)

Tom Kneer Dodge Inc, Cincinatti, OH (Bengal Chargers dealer special cars)

Kroehle Lincoln-Mercury Inc, Youngstown, OH (formerly Wicks/ became Stadium)

Kyle Motors (Pontiac), Vermilion, OH

Earl J Lance Buick, Elyria, OH (formerly Packard)

Maloney Motor Co (Plymouth), Canton, OH (sponsored Dave Koffel Hemi drag car)

Marve Minneman Chevrolet Inc, Youngstown, OH (COPO Camaros/ Perf dealership)

Fred P. Potschner (Ford), Dover, OH

Remlinger Dodge, Massillon, Ohio

Remlinger Oldsmobile Cadillac, Massillon, Ohio (sponsor Jim Wheeler W-31 drag car)

J. D. Roller Cadillac, Youngstown, OH (became Barrett Cadillac Inc)

Schlingman Buick Pontiac Inc

Stackhouse Oldsmobile Co, Dover, OH (moved to Youngstown in 1960)

Stackhouse Oldsmobile Inc, Youngstown, OH (W-30 442 drag race sponsor)

Stadium Lincoln Mercury, Youngstown, OH (formerly Kroehle Lincoln-Mercury)

State Chevrolet, Inc, Youngstown, OH

Strausbaugh Dodge, Youngstown, OH

Sweeney Chevrolet Buick GMC, Youngstown, OH (formerly Youngstown Buick)

Valley Pontiac, Youngstown, OH (formerly Buckeye Pontiac)

Al Wagner DeSoto Plymouth, Youngstown, OH (became Stackhouse Oldsmobile)

Wick Motors Lincoln Mercury, Youngstown, OH (Sold 100 Cyclone GTs/ became Kroehle)

Youngstown Buick, Youngstown, OH (formerly Mahoning Buick/ became Sweeny Chev Buick)

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

F. E. AVERY COMPANY (Pontiac)- Columbus, Ohio

F. E. Avery Company was a Pontiac dealer located in Columbus, Ohio. Prior to acquiring the Pontiac franchise the dealership was named F. E. Avery Garage. The business was one of the first commercial service garages in USA opened in 1899. The owner Frank Elmer Avery acquired the Pontiac franchise decades later. Frank Elmer Avery was born Nov 14, 1865. The dealership and garage at the time was located on Franklin Street. The F. E. Avery Company was incorporated Aug 27, 1926. By the 1970s the dealership was located at 4700 E Broad Street. Frank Elmer Avery died June 11, 1950 but the dealership carried on for several more decades following his death with family members Jessie Avery and Walter Avery involved.

The dealership was sold in 1982 when it was renamed Dave Gill Chevrolet, located at 4700 Broad Street. F. E. Avery was certainly performance oriented dealership which was established by F. E. Avery. Avery was one of the participants in the warmups races prior to the first 24 hour endurance races ever held July 3, 1905. At this time Avery was driving a Franklin.

In years later Avery's dealership sold GTO Judges alongside foreign cars such as a 1973 Porsche 911S. The Porsche's new owner Jake is trying to unravel the details of Avery's franchise agreements. There are several instances of Pontiac dealerships also carrying foreign imported cars such as Porsche and Ferrari along with their domestic offerings so this is not so far fetched a concept as it may appear on the surface.

Avery was still stocking high profile performance at the end of the decade.  On June 11, 1979 a Starlight Black with Gold accents rare T top delete Y84 Special Edition Trans Am was shipped out to A. E. Avery. This car was a theoretically impossible car, but is one of a few documented cars that have surfaced that were built with T top delete. The car showed up for sale at Resurrection Auto needing a restoration. The VIN is 2W87K9N183688.

See the story of a 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge bought new from this dealership filed in the 20 YEARS PLUS section of this website.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BARRETT CADILLAC, INC., Youngstown, OH (formerly J. D. Roller Cadillac/ became AMC)

Barrett Cadillac Inc located at 907 Wick Avenue, Youngstown, Ohio. The dealership traces back to 1925 when it was known as the Henderson-Roller Cadillac Company. James A Henderson and  J. D. Roller formed the nucleus of the company. On Aug 30, 1930 the name of the company was shortened to simply J. D. Roller Cadillac Company. On Sep 6, 1951 Wayne H. Barrett and LaBelle Barrett took over the company and changed the name to Barrett Cadillac Inc.

Barrett Cadillac was known as one of the 'Wick Six District' dealers which was a nickname for long standing dealerships around Wick Avenue. Other dealers were Cherol Motor Company (AMC), Kroehle Lincoln Mercury, State Chevrolet, Stackhouse Olds, Strausbaugh Dodge, and Youngstown Buick. Sometimes Valley Pontiac is counted as one of the 'Wick Six'

In June, 1980 Barrett purchased an AMC franchise and renamed themselves Barrett AMC Jeep Renault Inc. At this point, Richard M. Barrett was now president of the company. In May 1983 the name was amended to Barrett Jeep Eagle Inc. July 31, 1998 the corporation was dissolved.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BUCKEYE PONTIAC, Youngstown, OH (became Valley Pontiac)

Buckeye Pontiac was located in Youngstown, Ohio. It later became Valley Pontiac.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BYERS CHEVROLET, Columbus, OH (888) 607-0742

Byers Chevrolet is part of the Byers Auto Group which is a family business established in 1897. Byers carries every brand of car in 9 locations sprinkled around the Columbus, Ohio area. The original Byers Chevrolet Inc was incorporated Jan 9, 1929.

In winter of 2014 the aggregate total of all dealership inventory equaled 2,059 new vehicles. Byers Chevrolet is located at 555 West Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio. In winter 2014 Byers Chev had 306 new vehicles in stock, 17 of which were the new 2014 Camaros. The one new 2013 still on the lot was a Victory Red 2013 ZL1 VIN 2G1FZ1EP8D9803428 which has been discounted $5,500.00 below MSRP. They also had one new 2014 Corvette Stingray convertible in stock.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BYERS CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE RAM, Columbus, OH (888) 514-4497

Byers Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram is part of the Byers Auto Group which is a family business established in 1897. Byers carries every brand of car in 9 locations sprinkled around the Columbus, Ohio area. In winter of 2014 the aggregate total of all dealership inventory equaled 2,059 new vehicles. Byers Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram is located at 465 South Hamilton Road, Columbus, Ohio. In winter of 2014 Byers Chrysler had 232 new vehicles in stock. They had 5 new Challengers. One was a 2013 Challenger SXT, one was a 2014 R/T and the rest were 2014 SXTs.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BYERS FORD, Delaware, OH (866) 955-0185

Byers Ford is part of the Byers Auto Group which is a family business established in 1897. Byers carries every brand of car in 9 locations sprinkled around the Columbus, Ohio area. In winter of 2014 the aggregate total of all dealership inventory equaled 2,059 new vehicles. Byers Ford is located at 1101 Columbus Pike, Delaware, Ohio. In winter of 2014 Byers Ford had 210 new vehicles in stock. They had 11 Mustangs in stock, including one new Race Red 2014 Shelby GT500 VIN 1ZVBP8JZ9E5271310.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

THE CHEROL MOTOR COMPANY (AMC), Youngstown, OH

Cherol Motor Company was an AMC dealership located in Youngstown, Ohio and incorporated May 1, 1950. John F. Cherol was president of the company. Cherol Motor Company was known as one of the 'Wick Six District' dealers which was a nickname for long standing dealerships around Wick Avenue. Other dealers were Barrett Cadillac, Kroehle Lincoln Mercury, State Chevrolet, Stackhouse Olds, Strausbaugh Dodge, and Youngstown Buick. Sometimes Valley Pontiac is counted as one of the 'Wick Six'

The Cherol corporation was dissolved in 1986 making it the first of the big Wick dealers to vanish. Some people don't include it in the 'Six' count because of this.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CHESROWN CHEVROLET BUICK GMC, Delaware, OH (800-274-3603)

Chesrown Chevrolet Buick GMC is located at 1588 Columbus Pike, Delaware, Ohio. Chesrown was established in 1963 by Norman Chesrown as an Oldsmobile franchise. The business was incorporated Feb 15, 1966. By the late 1960s Cadillac was added creating Chesrown Oldsmobile Cadillac Inc. Chesrown had locations in Columbus & Newark, Ohio.

In Nov, 2002 the president of the corporation, David T. Chesrown changed the name of the dealership to Chesrown Oldsmobile Cadillac Buick GMC Inc.

Norman Chesrown's son Jim Gill took over the dealership and runs it today with his son, Ryan Gill. In 2011 Chesrown received the GM Mark of Excellence Award.

In Fall of 2013, the dealership had 346 new vehicles on the lot, 117 of which are cars. The majority of the cars are sedans. There were 78 Chevies and 25 Buick sedans in stock. Of note, the Buick Regal Turbos have some kick to them. Chesrown has 12 new Camaros on the lot, 3 of which are convertibles. There is also one top dog ZL1 Camaro coupe.

Chesrown sponsored a 1966 Olds 442 W-30 post coupe in NHRA competition.

Chesrown Olds garnered some fame as the sponsor of Ron Garey's 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass W-31. The W-31 option was nicknamed 'Ramrod' and was similar to Pontiac's Tempest H.O. small block. The Cutlass used a 350 Oldsmobile engine with hot parts to create an impressive street car. Ron Garey's car was built up into a drag racer with Chesrown graphics. It did well in NHRA and AHRA meets before being sold as a regular car. Garey continued his success with W-31 cars in 1969 when the Smothers Brothers hired him as a driver. Garey also competed in a 1970 442 that was sponsored by Chesrown.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CLARKE FORD, Hudson, OH (330) 655-2121

dealer clarke ford hudson, oh logo

Clarke Ford is located at s 5715 Darrow Rd, Hudson, Hudson, Ohio.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

COLUMBIA CHEVROLET, Cincinnati, OH (877) 681-7885 (formerly Columbia Olds)

Columbia Chevrolet is located at 9750 Montgomery Rd, Cincinnati, Ohio. Columbia traces back to 1938 when George J. Joseph established Columbia Oldsmobile. George purchased the land at the corner of 5th and Sycamore streets in downtown Cincinnati. Columbia Parkway led down 5th Street to the corner of 5th and Sycamore. The name Columbia Oldsmobile reflected the geographical layout.

Columbia Olds was the largest volume Oldsmobile dealer in the state of Ohio as well as a top dealer nationally until 1980. Columbia Olds sponsored a 1966 442 drag racing car that was campaigned by the Dickens Racing Team.

When GM killed the Oldsmobile division Columbia was left without a GM franchise for 5 yerars. In 2005 the Joseph family built a brand new Chevrolet dealership on Montgomery Road.  Ron Joseph Sr. suggested this location be named "Columbia" to reflect the Olds dealership that sustained the family business for all those years.

In winter, 2016 Columbia Chevrolet had 240 new vehicles in stock, 87 of which were cars. Of the 4 new Camaros, 3 were SS models. Columbia clearly hasn't forgotten their high performance heritage because they had an astonishing 18 new Corvettes in stock including several Z06 and Z51s.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

COLUMBIA OLDSMOBILE, Cincinnati, OH (Dickens racing sponsor/ Became Columbia Chev)

Columbia Oldsmobile was located at the corner of 5th and Sycamore streets in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. Columbia traces back to 1938 when George J. Joseph established Columbia Oldsmobile. George purchased the land where the dealership was located. Columbia Parkway led down 5th Street to the corner of 5th and Sycamore. The name Columbia Oldsmobile reflected the geographical layout.

Columbia Olds was the largest volume Oldsmobile dealer in the state of Ohio as well as a top dealer nationally until 1980. Columbia Olds sponsored a 1966 442 drag racing car that was campaigned by the Dickens Racing Team.

Columbia Oldsmobile carried non GM brands after GM killed the Oldsmobile division. In 2005 the Joseph family built a new dealership which became Columbia Chevrolet. See the story above.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

DELAWARE DODGE, Delaware, OH

Delaware Dodge was located at 60 East Winter Street, Delaware, Ohio during the 1960s.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

EWING CHEVROLET, Jeromesberg- Canton, OH (1914-2007 Performance Dealer COPO Camaros)

Ewing Chevrolet was established in March, 1914 in Jeromesberg, Ohio as part of the Ewing Hardware business. Father Clement L Ewing and his two sons Floyd C Ewing and Charles Clarence 'Jum' Ewing developed the car business. Once the dealership caught on C. C. moved it to Canton, Ohio in 1932 to 929 Cleveland Ave NW. In 1948 a new garage and showroom was built at 914 McKinley Ave NW.

C.C.'s son Stanley Ewing became president of the dealership in 1964 after working in the dealership starting as a car washer. The company was incorporated Jan 18, 1966. Stanley's son David Ewing took over as president of the dealership in 1989. The dealership closed in March 20, 2007. Several years later also in March, Stanley made it to his 90th birthday and died shortly after this in April, 2011. Dave Ewing went on to work for Downtown Ford and Lincoln in Canton, Ohio.

The Ewing Chevrolet dealership had a high performance manager just like many dealers affected by the musclecar explosion of the 1960s. Ewing's high performance manager Bob Shaffer took it a little further than the average dealership that stocked typical 396 Chevelles and Camaros. Ewing Chevrolet also ordered about a dozen 1969 Camaros with the COPO L72 427 engines factory installed.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

RAY FARO PONTIAC, Elyria, Ohio (Sponsored 1969 Judge RA V drag racer)

Ray Faro Pontiac was located in Elyria, Ohio. Ray Faro owned the dealership and enthusiastically sponsored a 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge RA IV drag racer in the automatic class.  Eddie Faro was the service manager and team driver on the drag strips. Eddie ordered a white with black interior 1969 Judge 400 RA IV with TH400 and 4.33 axle. The Judge had the delete package (no radio, sound deadener or sealer). George DeLorean's Leader Automotive balanced and blueprinted the drivetrain. (George's brother John was the famed performance oriented division manager of Pontiac Motor Division).

The Judge did well in competition until the engine blew up in 1970. The Faro team simply swapped in a 400 Ram Air V engine. This engine proved so rare that when Faro attempted to score a second RA V engine they were told they were all gone. The dealership was able to build up a back up RA V using a RA IV block and over the counter parts. The Judge was sold along with the dealership in 1974.

Pontiac collector Chuck Henley discovered the Judge and restored it to its final race configuration with the 'back up' RA V engine. Ray Faro's son, Jeff and original driver Eddie Faro were thrilled to see the car back in original form. The White GTO Judge was seen at the Dayton 'Co-Vention' in 2009 with Day 2 chrome mags and the Ray Faro race lettering. The license frame reads 'V Judge'.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

DAVE GILL CHEVROLET, Columbus, OH (formerly A.E. Avery Pontiac)

Dave Gill Chevrolet was located at 4700 Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio. The dealership was formerly known as A.E. Avery Pontiac which was a long established business tracing back to 1899. See the story above on this page.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

GREENWOOD CHEVROLET INC, Youngstown, OH (formerly Marve Minneman Chev) 866-639-5791

Greenwood Chevrolet Inc is located at 4695 Mahoney Ave, Youngstown, Ohio. Gregory L Greenwood took over the Marve Minneman Chevrolet dealership in 1980. In summer, 2014 the dealership had 435 new vehicles in stock, 265 of which were cars. Greenwood had 13 new Camaros and 1 new Corvette.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

HARDENBROOK FORD, Piqua, OH

Hardenbrook Ford was located in Piqua, Ohio in the 1960s.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

THE JAMES A. HENDERSON CO. (Chevrolet), Youngstown, OH (see Henderson-Roller)

The James A. Henderson Co. was a Chevrolet dealership located at Boardman & Walnut Streets, Youngstown, Ohio. James Henderson was a former partner in Henderson-Roller Cadillac Company until he was bought out in 1930.

Henderson Chevrolet used an interesting promotional item for their dealership. Provided with each new car was a pen knife which had a blank cut as a key for the car. One of our regular readers, Pete Kelley first observed this interesting novelty key in the 1940's when he was a young kid. Pete and his pals were hanging out at a grocery store and noticed a regular customer who drove a nice 1937 Chevy coupe. The kids figured him to be a gangster. Pete noticed a pen knife stuck in the ignition switch. The kids were now certain the guy was a gangster who stole the car by jimmying the ignition.

When the kids asked if the Chevy was 'hot' the 'gangster' laughed. He showed them the penknife given away as a promo item with new cars. The knife had a key blank as the second blade which the dealership cut to fit your ignition and doors.

Pete never saw this novelty item in any other car until years later when sorting through some parts boxes that came with a car, Pete discovered a pen knife with a Chevy Logo and the Henderson dealership name.

That rediscovery spurred Pete to begin a collection of these novelty keys. Since 2004 his collection has grown but information about the keys is sparse. Any readers with information are invited to contact This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . We will forward information to Pete.

dealer ohio pen knife collection Pete Kelley

The pen knives were circulated to many dealerships and available to most manufacturers. Seen below are various key blanks coded for particular manufacturers.

dealer ohio pen knife series

Part Number 3060 fits Ford, Lincoln, Mercury from 1932 to 1951. This blank also fits Studebaker Commander from 1940 to 1953.

Part Number 3061 fits Ford, Lincoln, Mercury for !952 & 1953.

Part Number 3062 fits all General Motors 1933 to 1963.

dealer ohio pen knife closeup of blank

Part Number 3063 fits Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Plymouth but the years covered are not known exactly. The regular blank is Y128.

Lacking a part number, the "Key To Service" is special for Chevrolets 1933 to 1963. It's the same blank as the GM but uses this phrase instead of the part number.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

HENDERSON-ROLLER CADILLAC CO, Youngstown, OH (became J. D. Roller Cadillac)

Henderson-Roller Cadillac Co, was located in Youngstown, Ohio and was established in 1925 with James A Henderson and  J. D. Roller forming the nucleus of the company. On Aug 30, 1930 the name of the company was shortened to simply J. D. Roller Cadillac Company. See the story about The James A. Henderson Company above.

On Sep 6, 1951 Wayne H. Barrett and LaBelle Barrett took over J. D. Roller Cadillac Company and changed the name to Barrett Cadillac Inc.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

HOPKINS CHEVROLET- OLDSMOBILE, New Carlisle.

Hopkins Chevrolet-Oldsmobile was located at 2135 South State Route 235, New Carlisle, Ohio. They were dealer number 275 in zone 09. See the ONE OWNER story in the CAR STORIES section of this website about a 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS bought new from this dealership.

The dealership later became known as Hopkins Chevrolet-Oldsmobile-Geo and was last listed at 2135 S Dayton Lakeview Rd, New Carlisle, Ohio.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

LEN IMMKE BUICK GMC, Columbus, OH (sold 1970 Buick GS showcar)

Len Immke Buick GMC was located at 300 N Hamilton Rd, Columbus, Oho. A Fireglow Red 1970 Buick GS showcar with an all white interior was shipped to this dealer after it's tenure on the show circuit and the car was purchased by a customer. Many show cars end up in the crusher but this one survived the show circuit and was later restored.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

JACKSHAW PONTIAC INC, Lakewood, OH (S/S drag sponsor)

Jackshaw Pontiac Inc was located at 11801 Detroit Ave, Lakewood, Ohio. Owner Steve Jackshaw sponsored a 1966 GTO in S/S drag classes.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

KNAFEL PONTIAC, Akron, Ohio. Closed.

dealer knafel pontiac akron ohio exterior

Knafel Pontiac was owned by William 'Bill' Knafel who successfully branched out into other businesses, including ownership of other dealerships. Bill bought a successful Pontiac dealership named Anderson Pontiac, retaining the Anderson name. The dealership became known as Knafel's Anderson Pontiac. Eventually the dealership was officially named Knafel Pontiac. On Aug 27, 1959 the franchise expanded when Knafel incorporated the business as Bill Knafel Pontiac- Oldsmobile Inc. This corporation was cancelled in 1963.

Bill Abraham and Arlen Vanke began a racing partnership with a 1962 Pontiac Catalina and then attracted the interest of Knafel where they raced Pontiac GTOs.

Bill Knafel sponsored sports and racing through his dealership. His 'Tin Indian' racing teams won numerous drag racing records. His success can be traced to a keen desire to compete and commitment to winning. Bill was willing to spend money and he was also savvy enough to pool sponsorship money from Hurst, Firestone and Quaker State Oil. He had a pipeline to the factory and was able to attract good drivers. Quaker State featured a story about the Knafel Tin Indian racer in this ad on page 2 of Car and Driver July, 1967.

dealer knafel tin indian Car and Driver ad jul 67

Knafel Pontiac was also one of the participants in Pontiac Motor Division's Drag Race Dealer Program. Dealers who sponsored and raced a 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge received free drivetrains. Dealers could run Ram Air III 400 engines, Ram Air IV 400 engines and a choice of 4 speed or automatic. The one detail was that the Judges had to be painted Carousel Red. This was the Pontiac name for a Chevrolet paint that Chevy called Hugger Orange. The first 2,000 of the new 1969 Pontiac GTO Judges were painted Carousel Red to create a strong impact. By insisting that all the drag strip Judges were the same color Pontiac created a visual continuity anytime one was spotted at a drag strip. The 1969 Judge was available in many colors but because of the strength of the original Carousel Red campaign many dealerships ordered this color to ensure product identification when parked on their lots. At the end of the Judge model run for 1969 it was estimated 80% of the Judges were painted this color.

The dealership also created dealership specialty cars. The 1970 Magnum 400 was a dealer creation aimed at the Roadrunner concept. An inexpensive 1970 Tempest was set up with a 400-4 bbl, Rally II wheels, and dealer applied 1969 Judge stripe and custom "Magnum" name sticker. There were 50 made.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

TOM KNEER DODGE INC, Cincinatti, OH (Bengal Chargers dealer special cars)

Tom Kneer Dodge Inc was located at 3730 Harrison Ave, Cincinatti, Ohio. Thomas Kneer operated an indepenent used car lot from the early 1960s until May 16, 1965 when he was officially given a Dodge franchise which took over the lot and employees formerly under ownership of Heil Motors (owned by William C. "Bill" Heil).

In 1968 Kneer Dodge created their own dealer special named "Bengal Chargers". The car celebrated the formation of a new football team in Cincinnati. The name refers back to team creator's past when he was involved with a team named The Tigers. The Tiger theme tied into Cincinnati which had a Bengal Tiger in their zoo.

Kneer ordered 50 Dodge Chargers painted an Orange color that closely matched the football team's official colors. Black stripes and black vinyl tops correlated with black tiger stripes. Some of the cars had black interiors others had white. The cars varied in power plants and option loads but several were heavily optioned.  Ads placed June 5 and July 26, 1968 refer to the color of the Bengal Tigers as being "Tiger Orange" which was a name applied to a generic fleet color that Tom Kneer chose for the cars. The cars had a chrome Bengal Charger nameplate attached to the front fender. The Bengal Tigers were listed at a mere $2,568.00 which is likely a base stripped version. Most of the Bengal Chargers were 318 or 383 cars with some other drivetrain options and comfort options.

On Jul 29, 1968 Kneer had a 3rd year anniversary sale which included members of the Bengals signing autographs at the dealership. By 1970 htesecond location at 6475 Glenway was billed as the Tom Kneer Dodge Performance Centre and listed Scat Pack specials in a Jun 12 1970 ad. The 2 lots combined had 150 new cars 200 used cars.

In Jun 1972 Tom Kneer Dodge gave away a 1972 Dodge Charger as a prize at the River downs horse races.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

KROEHLE LINCOLN-MERCURY, INC., Youngstown, OH (formerly Wicks/ became Stadium)

Kroehle Lincoln-Mercury Inc was located at 726 Wick Avenue, Youngstown, Ohio and incorporated Feb 20, 1965 by Hugh G Kroehle.

Cherol Motor Company was known as one of the 'Wick Six District' dealers which was a nickname for long standing dealerships around Wick Avenue. Other dealers were Barrett CadillacCherol Motor Company (AMC), State Chevrolet, Stackhouse Olds, Strausbaugh Dodge, and Youngstown Buick. Sometimes Valley Pontiac is counted as one of the 'Wick Six'

The family has parlayed auto profits into land development.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

KYLE MOTORS INC (Pontiac), Vermilion, OH

Kyle Motors Inc was a Pontiac dealership located at West Lake Road in Vermilion, Ohio. The business was incorporated on June 24, 1958 by Lloyd Kyle, Jr. The dealership took delivery of one of the ultimate GTOs on March 8, 1972 when a 1972 Pontiac GTO with the WW5 package was unloaded onto their lot. The option took a GTO to the next level.

The 1972 W62 GTO option no longer had its own model number but had reverted back to option status on the LeMans. The GTO package provided a 400-4 barrel, dual exhaust with side splitters, 3 speed heavy duty manual floor shift, G70 x 14 Wide Oval tires, Endura front bumper, hood with scoops, front fender air extractors, firm shock absorbers, front and rear stabilizer bar, GTO identification.

The WW5 Package upgraded the GTO to the 455 HO engine, Unitized ignition, Ram Air system, choice of TH 400 transmission or M22 4 speed, and Safe-T-Track differential. The special Y99handling package included variable ratio power steering, front and rear 1 1/8" sway bars, power front disc brakes and 15 inch wheels with Goodyear G60 x 15 inch Polyglass GT tires. Inside the WW5 gave you the Formula steering wheel and Rally gauge cluster with tachometer and custom carpets. On the outside of the car the dual body colored racing mirrors and roof drip scalp molding was added.

The WW5 delivered to Kyle was Orange with body length white stripe, black vinyl top and Honeycomb mags. It was an automatic with saddle bucket seats, console and AM/FM stereo. The GTO showed up in 2014 for sale on the OldBrock website with all original paperwork still with the car.

The ultimate engine available from Pontiac in 1971 and 1972 was 455 HO but very few made it into the intermediates. In 1972 only 747 H.O. engines were installed into intermediate Pontiacs. 102 found their way into Lemans cars (21 of which were GTs) and 645 ended up in GTOs. Of the GTOs only 290 of those 455 H.O.s were installed as part of the WW5 package. The majority of 455 HO GTOs were ordered as a separate engine option.

The dealership ceased filing incorporation reports in 1993 suggesting that it may have closed down around this time.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

EARL J LANCE INC (Buick), Elyria, OH (formerly Packard)

Earl J Lance Buick was located at 165 Cleveland Street in Elyria, Ohio. Lance began with Kaiser and switched to Packard in the mid 1950s and then moved to Buick. On July 8, 1967 Earl J Lance and Jack E Lance incorporated as Earl J Lance Inc. Later the dealership address was adjusted slightly to 181 Cleveland Street. The dealership closed around the start of 1988.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MALONEY MOTOR CO (Plymouth), Canton, OH (sponsored Dave Koffel Hemi drag car)

Maloney Motor Co was run by George P. Maloney, Jr. who was born February 6, 1913 i Lancaster, MI. He was president of the company and a racing fan. When successful Studebaker driver Dave Koffel tried to buy a Hemi for his car Maloney countered with a sponsorship proposal.

Maloney died young of a heart attack July 23, 1970 in Canton, OH.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MARVE MINNEMAN CHEVROLET INC., Youngstown, OH (COPO Camaros/ Perf dealership)

Marve Minneman Chevrolet Inc was located in Youngstown, Ohio and had a reputation as a performance dealership. 427 engines were swapped into cars and COPO cars were sold through this dealership. Marvin S Minneman, Sr, William J Taafe, and Donald D Thompson are listed on the original incorporation of the business on Dec 27, 1960. The business was sold and renamed Greenwood Chevrolet in 1980.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

FRED P. POTSCHNER INC (Ford), Dover, OH

Fred P. Potschner was a Ford dealership established in 1914 and was still going strong at the end of the 1950s. On Jan 2, 1969 the dealership name was incorporated by Bill Ellwood Inc. The dealership was located at the corner of 4th and 401 North Wooster Avenue, Dover, Ohio. The corporation was cancelled Nov 23, 1981.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

REMLINGER DODGE, Massillon, Ohio

Remlinger Dodge was located at 7966 Hills and Dales Rd NE, Massillon, Ohio. Remlinger also had an Olds- Cadillac dealership in Massillon.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

REMLINGER OLDSMOBILE CADILLAC, Massillon, Ohio (sponsor Jim Wheeler W-31 drag conv)

Remlinger Oldsmobile Cadillac was located at 7966 Hills and Dales Road, Massillon, Ohio The dealership sponsored driver Jim Wheeler in a 1971 Cutlass automatic convertible W-31 drag car. Remlinger also had a Dodge dealership in Massillon.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

J. D. ROLLER CADILLAC, Youngstown, OH (became Barrett Cadillac Inc)

J. D. Roller Cadillac was located at 907 Wick Avenue, Youngstown, Ohio. The company traces back to 1925 when it was known as Henderson-Roller Cadillac Company. James A Henderson and  J. D. Roller formed the nucleus of the company. On Aug 30, 1930 the name of the company was shortened to simply J. D. Roller Cadillac Company. On Sep 6, 1951 Wayne H. Barrett and LaBelle Barrett took over the company and changed the name to Barrett Cadillac Inc.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SCHLINGMAN BUICK-PONTIAC INC, Piqua, Ohio.

Schlingman Buick-Pontiac Inc was located at 119-135 North Main Street in Piqua, Ohio during the 1960s and 1970s. The business was incorporated Oct 30, 1964 by Charles F Schlingman and Betty E Schlingman. To see the story of a 1966 Buick Riviera bought new from this dealership see the story in the ONE OWNER section in this website file in CAR STORIES. During the 1960s at Schlingman Buick-Pontiac Inc, the dealer signing the paperwork was C. F. Schlingman. The dealer code was 09-260. It seems that Loren Zell Buick-Pontiac Inc. took over the location from June 20, 1980 using dealer code 09-283 and closed in 1982. The original corporation was cancelled Oct 29, 1982.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

STACKHOUSE OLDSMOBILE CO, Dover, OH (moved to Youngstown in 1960)

Stackhouse Oldsmobile Co was established by Lloyd 'Bill' Stackhouse and Esther Mae Stackhouse in 1954 at 223 Boulevard near Union Hospital, Dover, Ohio. In 1960 they relocated to Youngstown. Ohio and created a reputation as a performance dealership during the musclecar years. See the story below.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

STACKHOUSE OLDSMOBILE INC, Youngstown, OH (W-30 442 drag race sponsor)

Stackhouse Oldsmobile Inc was located at 3121 Market Street and Brooklyn Avenue in Youngstown, Ohio in the 1960s The location was formerly occupied by Al Wagner DeSoto Plymouth. The showroom held 200 cars and the lot could display up to 350 cars.

The dealership was established by Lloyd 'Bill' Stackhouse and Esther Mae Stackhouse (nee Wyss). Esther was born Jan 26, 1914 in North Georgetown. She and "Bill' were married July 7, 1936 and moved to Dover, Ohio where they established the first Stackhouse Oldsmobile dealership in 1954 at 223 Boulevard near Union Hospital. The business was renamed Nov 2, 1959 and at the beginning of 1960 they relocated to Youngstown, Ohio.

Lloyd Stackhouse and his son Bob Stackhouse campaigned a W-30 442 drag racer. The dealership furthered their performance credentials when they created a stir in 1966 by ordering 100 442s at once. Media coverage of the police escort for the 20 truckloads (5 Ods 442s per truck) raised Stackhouse's image with performance kids. Wick Motors Lincoln Mercury which was across the street copied the stunt and brought in 100 Cyclone GTs at once.

Stackhouse Olds was known as one of the 'Wick Six District' dealers which was a nickname for long standing dealerships around Wick Avenue. Other dealers were Barrett Cadillac, Cherol Motor Company (AMC), Kroehle Lincoln Mercury, State Chevrolet, Strausbaugh Dodge, and Youngstown Buick. Sometimes Valley Pontiac is counted as one of the 'Wick Six'

'Bill' Stackhouse died May 7, 1985. Rural Metro Ambulance took over the lot when Stackhouse Oldsmobile closed in 1996. On February 16, 2003 the Kingdom Fellowship Ministries held their first Sunday service in the huge old Stackhouse showroom. On Dec 6, 2011 Esther Stackhouse passed away. In 2012 the old Stackhouse building sustained damage during a fire after it had sat vacant for some time.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

STADIUM LINCOLN MERCURY, Youngstown, OH (formerly Kroehle Lincoln-Mercury)

Stadium Lincoln Mercury was located in Youngstown, Ohio on the site of the former Kroehle Lincoln-Mercury dealership. They later moved to 7830 Market Street and added Mazda to the lineup.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

STATE CHEVROLET, INC., Youngstown, OH

State Chevrolet, Inc was located at Wick Avenue and Rayen in Youngstown, Ohio and was incorporated April 5, 1944. In the early 1990s the dealership became State Chevrolet Geo Cadillac.

State Chevrolet, Inc was known as one of the 'Wick Six District' dealers which was a nickname for long standing dealerships around Wick Avenue. Other dealers were Barrett Cadillac, Cherol Motor Company (AMC), Kroehle Lincoln Mercury, Stackhouse Olds, Strausbaugh Dodge, and Youngstown Buick. Sometimes Valley Pontiac is counted as one of the 'Wick Six'

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

STRAUSBAUGH DODGE, Youngstown, OH

Strausbaugh Dodge was located in Youngstown, Ohio.

Strausbaugh Dodge was known as one of the 'Wick Six District' dealers which was a nickname for long standing dealerships around Wick Avenue. Other dealers were Barrett Cadillac, Cherol Motor Company (AMC), Kroehle Lincoln Mercury, Stackhouse OldsState Chevrolet, Inc, and Youngstown Buick. Sometimes Valley Pontiac is counted as one of the 'Wick Six'

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SWEENEY CHEVROLET BUICK GMC, Youngstown, OH (formerly Youngstown Buick)

Sweeney Chevrolet Buick GMC is located at 7997 Market Street, Youngstown, Ohio. The business traces back through Youngstown Buick all the way back to the Steams Motor Company. Doug Sweeney is the current president of the company. In summer, 2014 Sweeney had 702 new vehicles in stock, 257 of which were new cars. Sweeney had 8 new Camaros, 1 of which was a new 2015 model.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

VALLEY PONTIAC, Youngstown, OH (formerly Buckeye Pontiac)

Valley Pontiac was located in Youngstown, Ohio at the former site of Buckeye Pontiac. Sometimes Valley Pontiac is counted as one of the 'Wick Six' which was a nickname for the major dealerships along Wick Avenue. Other dealers often considered to be part of the 'Six' are Barrett Cadillac, Cherol Motor Company (AMC), Kroehle Lincoln Mercury, Stackhouse OldsState Chevrolet, Inc,Strausbaugh Dodge and Youngstown Buick.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

AL WAGNER DESOTO PLYMOUTH, Youngstown, OH (became Stackhouse Oldsmobile)

Al Wagner DeSoto Plymouth was located at 3121 Market Street and Brooklyn Avenue in Youngstown, Ohio in the 1950s. The location was later occupied by Stackhouse Oldsmobile Inc.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

WICK MOTORS LINCOLN MERCURY, Youngstown, OH (Sold 100 Cyclone GTs/ became Kroehle)

Wick Motors Lincoln Mercury located in Youngstown, Ohio. Inspired by the success of the publicity stunt staged by Stackhouse Oldsmobile across the street (Stackhouse brought in 100 442s at once) Wick copied the move and brought in 100 Cyclone GTs at once. Media coverage followed the progress of 20 trucks carrying 5 Cyclone GTs each with a police escort. The cars were equipped with 390- 335 HP engines. The icing on the cake was a guest appearance from a famous Dyno Don funny car which was put on display. The dealership was taken over by Kroehle Lincoln Mercury.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YOUNGSTOWN BUICK, Youngstown, OH (formerly Mahoning Buick/ became Sweeny Chev Buick)

Youngstown Buick was located at 1021 Wick Avenue in Youngstown, Ohio. The company traces back to 1921 with the Stearns Motor Sales Company. Stearns was renamed Nash Youngstown in 1925. Nash Youngstown bought the franchise when Mahoning Buick went bankrupt in 1931. Nash Youngstown was renamed Buick Youngstown Company.

Youngstown Buick was known as one of the 'Wick Six District' dealers which was a nickname for long standing dealerships around Wick Avenue. Other dealers were Barrett Cadillac, Cherol Motor Company (AMC), Kroehle Lincoln Mercury, Stackhouse Olds, State Chevrolet, and Strausbaugh Dodge.

Following the nationwide trend for dealerships to leave city cores and follow customers to the suburbs, Youngstown Buick relocated to 7997 Market Street and is now known as Sweeney Chevrolet Buick GMC. Pontiac had been added to the roster in 1996 which they held until the death of the Great One.


Last Updated ( Friday, 01 May 2020 19:09 )