Home Dealerships CALIFORNIA SANTA BARBARA County- (Carpinteria, Santa Maria etc.)
CALIFORNIA SANTA BARBARA County- (Carpinteria, Santa Maria etc.)
Written by Double Dragon
Friday, 11 November 2011 20:16

CALIFORNIA SANTA BARBARA County-

(Ballard, Buellton, Carpinteria, Casmalia, Cuyama, Garey, Goleta, Gaudalupe, Isla Vista, Lompoc, Los Alamos, Los Olivos, Mission Canyon, Mission Hills, Montecito, New Cuyama, Orcutt, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Santa Ynez, Sisquoc, Solvang, Summerland, Toro Canyon, Vandenberg Village)

oneownercollectorcar.com

Writing and photography copyright D. S. Brown, except for Washburn Chevrolet logo copyright Washburn.

Bishop Ford, Bishop, CA 877-398-0385 (formerly Eastern Sierra Motors)

Butts Buick Inc., Santa Barbara, CA

C & H Chevrolet, Santa Barbara, CA (formerly Washburn Chev)

Jim Charlon Ford, Inc., Ridgecrest, CA 760-371-1331 (formerly Desert Motors)

Desert Motors (Ford), Ridgecrest, CA (became Jim Charlon Ford, Inc.)

Eastern Sierra Motors (Ford), Bishop, CA (became Bishop Ford)

Ellis Motors Inc. (Ford Mercury), Lone Pine, CA

Gilbert Pontiac-Buick-GMC, Shafter, CA

Home Motors (Chevrolet Cadillac), Santa Maria, CA 805-285-2908

Hughes Pontiac, Santa Barbara, CA

Kimball Motor Company, A Corp (Pontiac), San Luis Obispo, CA

Loufox Motor Center Inc (Pontiac), Delano, CA

Luther Motors (Chrysler Dodge Plymouth), Bishop, CA

Miller Chevrolet, Lone Pine, CA

Moffett Ford (aka Scotty Moffett Ford), Carpinteria, CA

Oyler-Wiley Motors (Chev-Olds-Cadillac), Bishop, CA (became Virgil Oyler Motors)

Virgil Oyler Motors, Bishop, CA

Perry Motors (Pontiac), Bishop, CA (became Toyota and Honda)

Silver Ford, Taft, CA (formerly Westside Motors)

Stowasser Buick GMC, Santa Maria, CA (805) 354-5232

Washburn Chevrolet, Santa Barbara, CA (performance dealership)

Westside Motors (Ford), Taft, CA

Tom Williams Oldsmobile Cadillac, Santa Barbara, CA (1969 Olds H/O dealer)

George Young Chevrolet, Santa Barbara, CA (became Washburn Chevrolet)

 

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BISHOP FORD, Bishop, CA 877-398-0385 (formerly Eastern Sierra Motors)

Bishop Ford is located at 1440 N. Highway 6, Bishop, California. This location was formerly the site of Eastern Sierra Motors.

In fall of 2014 Bishop Ford had 48 new vehicles in stock, 17 of which were cars, including 1 new 2014 Mustang V6.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BUTTS BUICK INC, Santa Barbara, CA

Butts Buick Inc. was owned by R. H. Butts and located at 326 Chapala, Santa Barbara, California and at 315 State Street in Santa Barbara, California. The dealership also specialized in Mercedes, Jaguar, MG and Triumph.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

C & H CHEVROLET, Santa Barbara, CA (formerly Washburn Chev)

C & H Chevrolet was located at 614 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara, California. The dealership occupied the location formerly known as Washburn Chevrolet.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

JIM CHARLON FORD, INC., Ridgecrest, CA 760-371-1331 (formerly Desert Motors)

Jim Charlon Ford, Inc. is located at 269 S China Lake Boulevard, Ridgecrest, California. This is the location formerly occupied by Desert Motors Ford Mercury. Ken Charlon and Nick Charlon are the current general managers of the dealership. Jim Charlon Ford also took over the lot formerly occupied by Ed Fant Buick in Bakersfield, California.

In winter 2014 Charlon had 57 new vehicles in stock, 3 of which were new 2014 Mustangs.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

DESERT MOTORS (Ford), Ridgecrest, CA RIDGECREST, CA (became Jim Charlon Ford, Inc)

Desert Motors was a Ford dealer located at 1419 China Lake Blvd., Ridgecrest, California during the 1960s. Desert Motors used Ford dealer code # 71H450. Later the dealership moved and became known as Desert Motors Ford Mercury at 269 S China Lake Boulevard, Ridgecrest, CA.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

EASTERN SIERRA MOTORS (Ford), Bishop, CA (became Bishop Ford)

Eastern Sierra Motors was a Ford dealership located at 1440 US 6 in Bishop, California. Jim Ellis moved to Bishop in 1969 to run the dealership. Jim also owned Ellis Motors in Lone Pine, CA. James Irving Ellis was born in Los Angeles, CA Jan 5, 1923. After WWII he worked for Miller Chevrolet and then later Ellis Motors in Lone Pine. Jim bought Ellis Motors in 1961. Jim retired in 1988 and his son Robert Ellis bought the Eastern Sierra Motors location. Jim Ellis continued to fly on his off time. He died age 97 in Bishop Mar 20, 2020.

The dealership later became Bishop Ford.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ELLIS MOTORS INC, (Ford Mercury), Lone Pine, CA

Ellis Motors Inc. was a Ford Mercury dealership owned by Howard Ellis. Ellis Motors was originally a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership. Eventually Lincoln was dropped but the location remained at 335 Main Street in Lone Pine, California. Dealers often carried gasoline as well. In the 1960s Ellis had a Shell franchise on the lot.

Lone Pine is in the High Sierra Mountains and served as a pack staton and base for hunting and fishing vacationers, as well as hosting an annual rodeo starting in 1941. The town had one other long term dealership: Miller Chevrolet. Many western films were shot here as well as other genres including well known classics such as High Sierra and Bad Day at Black Rock. A street named Anchorville contained period style old west buildings (bars, schoolhouse) for film companies who usually availed themselves of the local cowboys as well.

In 1960 after Howard died, his widow partnered with employee Jim Ellis (no relation). James Irving Ellis was born in Los Angeles, CA Jan 5, 1923 and didn't discover Lone Pine until Dec 1, 1942 when he arrived in town for military flight training at Midnight on the bus. The first thing he saw was his name in lights on the Ellis Motors sign. After WWII he worked for Miller Chevrolet and then later Ellis Motors. Jim bought the dealership in 1961.

In 1969 Jim Ellis moved to Biship, CA to open Eastern Sierra Motors. In the 1970s Ellis Motors offered Ford rental cars to tourists as well as selling cars. Jim's son, James Ellis ran Ellis Motors until selling it in 1977. Jim Ellis continued to fly on his off time. He died age 97 in Bishop, CA Mar 20, 2020.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

GILBERT PONTIAC-BUICK-GMC, Shafter, CA

Gilbert Pontiac-Buick-GMC was located at 385 East Lerdo Avenue, Shafter, California during the 1970s.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

HOME MOTORS (Chevrolet Cadillac), Santa Maria, CA 805-285-2908

dealer home motors chev cad santa maria ca license

Home Motors is a Chevrolet Cadillac dealership located at 1313 East Main Street, Santa Maria, California.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

HUGHES PONTIAC, Santa Barbara, CA

Hughes Pontiac was located at 315 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara, California during the 1970s.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

KIMBALL MOTOR COMPANY, A CORP (Pontiac), San Luis Obispo, CA

Kimball Motor Company, A Corp was a Pontiac dealership located at , San Luis Obispo, California during the 1970s.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

LOUFOX MOTOR CENTER INC (Pontiac), Delano, CA

Loufox Motor Center Inc was a Pontiac dealership located at 1302 High Street, Delano, California during the 1970s.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

LUTHER MOTORS (Chrysler Dodge Plymouth), Bishop, CA

Luther Motors was a Chrysler Dodge Plymouth located at 187 West Line Road, Bishop, California. In the 1960s the dealership was owned by Chas E. Luther

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MILLER CHEVROLET, Lone Pine, CA

Miller Chevrolet was owned by Howard L. Miller and established 1935. It was located at 330 North Main Street in Lone Pine, California during the 1960s. The dealership was full service, including body repair and towing. In 1970 Howard was operating at 1935 So. Main Street.

Lone Pine is in the High Sierra Mountains and served as a pack staton and base for hunting and fishing vacationers, as well as hosting an annual rodeo starting in 1941. The town had one other long term dealership: Ellis Motors. Many western films were shot here as well as other genres including well known classics such as High Sierra and Bad Day at Black Rock. A street named Anchorville contained period style old west buildings (bars, schoolhouse) for film companies who usually availed themselves of the local cowboys as well.

The dealership was usually referred to as Bud Miller Chevrolet in the late 1970s once Howard's son took over the dealership. Howard's son, Howard, Jr. was known as "Bud". The early location of Miller is now a Mobil gas station. The later location is also now a gas station.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MOFFETT FORD, Carpinteria, CA

Moffat Ford was located on Comet Highway, Carpenteria, California during the 1960s at which time the license frames were changed to refelct the name Scotty Moffatt Ford.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

OYLER-WILEY MOTORS (Chev-Olds-Cadillac), Bishop, CA (became Virgil Oyler Motors)

Oyler- Wiley Motors was a Chevrolet-Oldsmobile-Cadillac dealership located at 462 N. Main Street, Bishop, California during the 1960s. In 1968 Virgil Oyler bought out his partner and went solo.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

VIRGIL OYLER MOTORS INC (Chevrolet), Bishop, CA

Virgil Oyler Motors Inc was a Chevrolet dealership located at 462 N. Main Street, Bishop, California. Formerly a partnership named Oyler- Wiley Motors, Oyler's incorporation date was July 5, 1968. The company was dissolved July 21, 2008.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PERRY MOTORS (Pontiac), Bishop, CA (became Toyota and Honda)

Perry Motors was established by Dick Perry in 1947 as a Pontiac dealership located at 310 S Main St, Bishop, California. During the 1960s and 1970s Perry also had a location at 637 North Main, Bishop. Perry expanded to include Rambler and Buick, GMC, and International Harvester in the early 1960s. Later Cadillac was added while also phasing in new import brands as the gas crisis developed. The 310 S Main Street location now houses Perry Toyota and Perry Honda.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SILVER FORD, Taft, CA (formerly Westside Motors)

Silver Ford was a Ford dealer located at 531 Center St, Taft, California. The dealership was opened Jan 24, 1986 on the former Westside Ford dealership location.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

STOWASSER BUICK GMC, Santa Maria, CA (805) 354-5232

dealer Stowasser Buick GMC, Santa Maria, CA license

Stowasser Buick GMC is located at 600 E Betteravia Road, Santa Maria, California. In fall, 2014 Stowasser had 51 new vehicles in stock, 3 of which were cars.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

WASHBURN CHEVROLET, Santa Barbara, CA (sponsored 1963 ZO6 racer/ formerly George Young)

dealer washburn chev santa barbara ca logo

Washburn Chevrolet was located at 614 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara, California. Washburn had a reputation as a performance dealership. The dealership was inherited by Shelton Washburn. Shelton's father in law developed the Chevy dealership as George Young Chevy. Shelton pursued a performance angle at a timely point in dealership racing sponsorship before huge factory involvement occurred.

Aside from selling hot cars to customers, the dealership sponsored SCAA Corvette racers piloted by Bob Bondurant with prep work done by Bob Joehnck. One of the later cars sponsored was a 1963 Z06 Corvette racer which later enjoyed a second racing life after restoration when Vic Edelbrock, Jr took it vintage racing. Washburn also sponsored Tony Settember driving a 1967 Camaro Z-28. Note that Washburn racers were numbered 64 in the logo above. This created an intentional link to the dealership address at 164 Chapala.

Wasburn also sponsored a car in the Mobil Gas Economy run from Los Angeles, California to Boston, Massachusetts. In the March 14- 20, 1966 run Washburn sent a Chevy II Nova 6 cylinder into competition with Carole Stroud at the wheel.

In the late 1970s Shelton and his son moved to Santa Rosa, California and opened to start a sports car franchise with MG, Jaguar and Alfa Romeo.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

WESTSIDE MOTORS (Ford), Taft, CA (became Silver Ford 1986)

Westside Motors was a Ford dealer located at 531 Center St, Taft, California during the 1960s. Westside used Ford dealer code # 71H455. The company was incorporated Aug 26, 1965. On Jan 24, 1986 the location was taken over by Silver Ford.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

TOM WILLIAMS OLDSMOBILE CADILLAC, Santa Barbara, CA (1969 Olds H/O dealer)

Tom Williams Oldsmobile Cadillac was located at 410 State Street, Santa Barbara, California during the 1960s and 1970s.

In Spring, 1969 Tom Williams was a distributor for the new exciting 1969 Hurst Olds cars. Only 42 of these cars were allotted to Southern California. 400 dealers nationwide were selected to distribute the 700-900 of these special cars which means the dealerships chosen likely got 2 cars each. Other known distributors of the Hurst Olds cars in Southern California were Tipton Olds in La Mesa, and Mandy Williams Olds in West Covina.

By the 1980s Williams had added a Subaru franchise.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

GEORGE YOUNG CHEVROLET, Santa Barbara, CA (became Washburn Chevrolet)

George Young developed a Chevrolet business in the 1930s and eventually built a new Chevrolet franchise at 614 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara, California. Upon retirement in the 1950s, he passed the dealership onto his son in law, Shelton Washburn who ran the dealership was a high performance dealer until the 1970s.

 

 

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 11 May 2021 16:18 )